Amnesty Petition, July 2015
Dear Prime Minister Harper,
Omar Khadr is finally out on strict bail conditions while an appeal of his US military commission conviction is underway. Many human rights issues in the case remain unresolved. I urge the government of Canada to:
- Investigate the credible and troubling allegations of torture and ill-treatment while Omar Khadr was detained in Bagram and Guantánamo Bay;
- Recognize Omar Khadr as a child soldier in line with the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the involvement of children in armed conflict;
- Acknowledge the grave human rights violations associated with the detention facility in Guantánamo Bay, including the fact that the military commissions fall far short of international standards for fair trials;
- Provide a remedy as required by the 2010 Supreme Court of Canada decision, particularly with a view to ensuring non-repetition of the human rights violations experienced by Omar Khadr;
- Ensure that the Correctional Service of Canada is able to manage Omar Khadr’s case without political interference.
Please submit petition by December 2015 to:
Amnesty International Canada
312 Laurier Avenue East
Ottawa, ON K1N 1H9
pdf of the Amnesty Petition: http://www.amnesty.ca/sites/default/files/canada_omar_khadr_july_2015.pdf
At long last we are celebrating Omar’s release on bail, after 13 years of unlawful imprisonment! However, there are still legal battles ahead. The Free Omar Khadr Now campaign will continue its fight until Omar is completely free to come and go where he wants, and until he is acquitted of all the baseless charges applied by the illegitimate Guantánamo commission. The violation of Omar’s rights must be properly remedied.
We will continue to support Omar’s pro bono lawyers with their mounting costs. (Read below the u
- September 2015 – Federal government’s appeal of Judge Ross’ decision to grant bail to Omar;
- Appeal to the Court of Military Commission Review in the U.S. to vacate all Omar’s Guantanamo Bay ‘convictions’;
- Civil lawsuit against the Canadian government for complicity in his arbitrary detention and cruel and inhumane treatment at the hands of the United States.
We continue to need your help and ask you to support the Free Omar Khadr 2015 Fundraising campaign which has a goal of $80,000. This money goes directly to Omar’s defence with no administration fees.
Your contribution makes his defence possible and brings Omar’s case closer to justice.
TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE FREE OMAR KHADR NOW 2015 FUND, you have the following options
- 2) By Cheque, you can send to: Free Omar Khadr Now Committee; P.O. Box 57112 RPO; East Hastings Street, Vancouver; V5K 1Z0 B.C.; Canada. (Please enclose your email address)
- 3) By Bank Deposit/Interac e-transfer: Free Omar Khadr Now Committee; VanCity Credit Union, Branch 13; Account number: 531590; FreeOmar.firstname.lastname@example.org